Monday, March 4, 2013

Make it Monday: Basic Diaper Cake

     Here is the first diaper cake I ever made. It's not as elaborate as some of the diaper cakes I've seen, but I think it turned out alright for my first try. You can make a basic 2-tier diaper cake for about $10-15 (more or less) depending on how many extra "goodies" you stick on it. 
     The first thing I did was make a "cake board" which is just a circle of cardboard covered with aluminum foil. You can use wrapping paper or just purchase a cake board if you prefer, but I couldn't really see it when I was done anyway. Next I rolled up diapers with the edge in and tied them closed with yarn. You can also use rubber bands if you have enough. Or I have seen some where thin ribbon was used.


     I ended up using 24 rolled up diapers for the bottom tier and 14 for the top tier. Next I placed the rolls of the bottom tier on the cake plate and tied a piece or white yard around the group. I ended up stuffing more diapers in to make the string taut. Like I said, the bottom tier ended up being 24 diapers.



     Next I did the same thing with less diapers for the top tier and ended up with 14. You can stick other things in instead of diapers in the middle, like a bottle, packet of wipes, baby bath or rolled up onesies or burp cloths. It all depends on how much you want to spend and how elaborate you want to go. I didn't put any "extras" in the middle this time. 
     Next, I took two pieces of pink ribbon (since it is for a little girl) and covered up the yarn tying the diapers together with a drop of superglue on the ends of the ribbon. I added a rolled up onesie and a small stuffed animal for a "topper" and folded a second onesie and set it on top of the bottom layer, leaning against the top layer.


     Finally I stuck on a couple of small bottles of baby lotion on the ribbon of the top tier and made some little pink roses out of pink crepe paper and stuck them around some of the edges. You can see them in the above picture, but the pic below is a side view and you may see them better. You could also just buy some artificial (or real) flowers for this purpose, or simply use ribbons or other things for decoration.


     So anyway, that's basically what I did. I just thought it was a really neat way to dress up what is basically a pack of diapers. And you can buy diapers on sale with coupons and sales and get them pretty cheap. I didn't even use the whole pack on my cake and I used 2 onesies out of a pack of 5. So I have some to use for another diaper cake later. You guys have to let me know what you think!

18 comments:

  1. I think it's very cute and useful.

    slehan at juno dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute idea. Am going to have to make this for my sisters baby shower next month. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have been wanting make one of these for a baby shower...thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A clever way to give someone diapers as a gift. Much better than a plastic package!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a super cute idea for a baby shower gift! I would love to do it with pre-folds so the gift keeps giving for years!
    masugr at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute idea, my girl friend is pregnant and I am going to make it for her shower. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love making these for baby showers. I have also used a round pizza pan from the dollar store for the base. Yours is very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am totally doing this for my sis in law's baby shower this weekend

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute idea! A thought I had was to maybe wrap the diapers in colored or patterned tissue paper! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would look pretty, but use a lot of paper! I have seen some of them use baby blankets for some color, though. :-) They can get pretty fancy! The one I did here was just the basics.

      Delete
  10. This idea is so cute. It makes a great decoration with things that are much needed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was invited to a baby shower today and absolutely making this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just make sure you don't wait till last minute! It does take a bit of time, depending on what you do! But I hope it works out for you.

      Delete
  12. This is such a great idea! I feel like you could use it as a center piece! Thanks for sharing your process, and including pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I may have to do this for my best Friend. This is to cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did this for a coworkers shower, only I didn't roll the diapers, I wrapped them around from the center out and secured with a ribbon...turned out great!

    ReplyDelete

Question? Comments? Or just say hi! I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...