Friday, April 5, 2013

Festive Friday: Train Cake



     Today I thought I'd share the cake I made for my son's first birthday. It is not quite as simple as my daughter's flower cake, but it's not super complicated either. As you can see, it is a train cake. Not super steady work, but it was late and I was ready for bed!
     For the train cars I used a loaf pan for the cakes and Oreo cookies. After baking the mini cakes, I trimmed the tops so they were flat. I cut a couple of the loaf cakes in half and stacked the halves, as pictured below. I also took 3 oreos and "glued" them together with icing for the engine car.
    



     I found that the Wilton cake icer tip works just right for covering 3 oreos and it also worked well for the rest of the car. I used oreos for the wheels as well! Decorate the cars as you see fit. You can use lots of candy if you want. I used a random toy my kids had and a number candle. What do you think?


3 comments:

  1. This is so cute! Thank you so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! My mom always made fun cakes for me throughout the years...I'll always remember them and I'm sure your kids will remember the ones you make too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Homemade cakes beat store bought anyday

    ReplyDelete

Question? Comments? Or just say hi! I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...